I’ve been up to no good.
These super gooey cookie butter chocolate bars are indulgent, delicious, and 100% good for you.
Seriously! Chocolate contains antioxidants which has been proven to do good stuff to your body. These cookie butter bars are backed by science, people!
I adapted this from a chocolate peanut butter bar recipe by Dear Crissy. Pretty much all I did was swap out the peanut butter for Trader Joe’s Speculoos Cookie Butter because I’m not a huge fan of peanut butter desserts. If you’re not familiar with Speculoos, think of it as a yummy, cinnamony ginger cookie. And Trader Joe’s found a way to grind Speculoos up into a delicious, buttery spread.
This is a super easy treat to make just in time for the weekend. Enjoy! And don’t forget to follow me on Bloglovin’ if you are not already.
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 12-ounce package semisweet chocolate pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup Speculoos Cookie Butter
- 1/4 cup hot strong coffee
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with parchment paper or foil, or lightly grease pan; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the 3/4 cup butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, vanilla, and salt until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour.
- Transfer dough to the prepared baking pan spreading evenly (press with hands). Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until edges are golden. Cool on wire rack.
- In a small saucepan cook and stir chocolate pieces and the 3 tablespoons butter over low heat until melted and smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in peanut butter and coffee until combined. Stir in powdered sugar until smooth. Spread uncut bars with frosting. Let stand until frosting is set. Cut into bars. Makes 24 bars.
- To store: Place bars in a single layer in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 2 days.